Too Much of a Good Thing

An expanding host of extra-curricular activities, bursting out into a week of feverish activity, has pointed out a new difficulty for the organizations competing for the student's free time. They must find some way of casing the current battle for support which last night saw five major events--forums, concerts, and lectures--engage in a conflicting struggle to attract the potentially interested. Under any circumstances such a plethora of time killers would tax the attention of the student body. Some are doomed to fall short of the audience they would have a right to expect on a less eventful evening.

The organizations have the means of resolving this dog-fight. In a fit of hope, the Student Council last fall asked them to list their activities at Phillips Brooks House. So far the request has been more honored in the breach than the observance; there have been few listings and fewer consultations. With the post-war shortage of space hampering spare-time projects, there is little reason for deliberately throttling any support that might accrue to marginal groups by over-saturating the evening hours. The remedy lies with the organizations themselves and in a little planning.