Masters Vote To Keep Ban On Ticket Sale

Dining Halls Out of Bounds for Solicitation Tables in Houses Pending Action in Summer

Ticket-selling, poll-taking, and all other solicitation within House dining halls will continue to be taboo for the remainder of the term at least, House Masters decided in an inter-House policy meeting Friday evening.

The blanket policy laid down will not bar extracurricular "peddlers" from setting up tables in vestibules outside the dining halls proper, or in common rooms. Not all Houses, however, have adequate or convenient space of this kind.

May Reopen Controversy

The Masters may reconsider the question during the summer," said Clarence H. Haring '07, Master of Dunster House, "but we did not think it worthwhile to put through any changes with so little time remaining in the term."

A student proposal to set up a permanent activities table within each House dining hall, assigning it to one organization each evening, met with mixed reaction from the House Masters. "We are keeping an open mind on the subject," said Haring, "and will probably make a final decision the next time the whole matter is brought up."

Adams Unaffected

Reached for comment last night, David M. Little '18, Master of Adams House, stated that the recent ruling would not affect Adams or other Houses with adequate vestibule space. "We are all agreed," he said, "that eating and selling should not mix; but the problem of separating them faces only those Houses with isolated dining halls."

Space has been found inadequate outside the dining halls in Lowell, Winthrop, and Kirkland Houses. Dunster, Leverett, and Eliot are somewhat better equipped to handle sales and solicitation, but only Adams' facilities are entirely satisfactory.