Seven Nominees Win Council Posts After College-Wide Class Elections

Serve Until May '48

Robert K. Bingham '48 of Cleveland and Kirkland House and Harry P. Haveles '48 of Roxbury and Dudley Hall will serve as Senior Class representatives on next year's Student Council.

Chosen as Junior Class delegates on the 1947-48 Council were John K. Lally '49 of Washington, D. C., and Adams House, and William D. Weeks '49 of Boston and Dunster House.

Yesterday's College-wide voting also elected John H. Carnahan '50 of Seagoville, Texas, and Matthews Hall, Patrick D. Dailey '50 of Dallas, Texas, and Thayer Hall, and Richard T. Guidera '50 of West-bury, New York, and Weld Hall as next year's Sophomore Class members of the Student Council.

Preferential Ballot Used

These seven men, elected by preferential ballot, will join the eight House delegates selected last week to form the nucleus of next year's Council, serving until May 1948.

Under the preferential ballot system, inaugurated by the Council's revised constitution, men polling the lowest number of first place votes were successively dropped and their ballots redistributed according to second, third, and fourth selections until only the predetermined number of candidates remained.

Junior Balloting

Junior balloting required six counts, while Sophomore elections took nine and Freshman, fifteen. With about 2000 valid ballots cast, Richard G. Axt, present Council president, declared, "Student interest in the election has rewarded those who worked so diligently for a more democratic Student Council."

Edric A. Weld, Jr. '46, Council member in charge of Freshman affairs, was "very much encouraged" by the results of Yard-ling voting. "It was admittedly an experiment, and I think it worked," he said late last night.