Vets Awaiting Cash Can Get Ten-Day Loan

AVC Secures Harvard Trust Cooperation in Emergency Plan to Tide Veterans Over

Veteran students caught short by the unexpected delay of their monthly subsistence checks can obtain short-term financial aid through an emergency channel arranged by the University Chapter of the American Veterans Committee, Chairman Reginald H. Zalles 2G announced last night.

At Zalles' request yesterday morning, C. Charles Sommer, vice-president of the Harvard Trust Company, agreed to provide any veteran student whose need is certified by AVC with a ten-day loan up to the amount of his delayed check. Loan applications must be filled out at the AVC office in Phillips Brooks House, signed by Zalles and John U. Munro, University Counsellor for Veterans, and presented at the Harvard Trust Company by the applicant.

The bank has agreed to waive its $3 minimum loan fee, supplying the special grants for a 50-cent service charge.

Intended for Graduates

AVC intends the stop-gap measure primarily for graduates. The regular College loan service, operating through the assistant deans, will continue to serve undergraduate veterans, Francis S. von Stade, Jr. '07, Director of Scholarships, announced yesterday The $4 fee remains in force here, though AVC is pressing for its removal.

If the experimental loan system proves workable and valuable in its first two days of operation here, the National Education Committee of the AVC will recommend it to AVC's 200 other college chapters.