Crimson Nine Meets Cornell In Twin Bill This Afternoon

Wallace and Reilly Take Mound To Oppose Ithacans Boasting Four .300 Hitters in Lineup

For exam-weary undergraduates courageous enough to emerge from musty study rooms and absorb some sunshine, an interesting Ivy League doubleheader between the Varsity and Cornell gets under way on Soldiers Field at 2:30 o'clock this afternoon.

The Ithacans, boasting the best team batting average in the league--a healthy 305 before its twin bill with Yale--moved out of the cellar at New Haven yesterday as a result of an even split with the Elis. The Crimson now lies a half-game behind the Bulldogs, and two Harvard victories today, coupled with a win by Penn over Yale at Philadelphia, would return Coach Dolph Samborski's forces to first place.

Jack Wallace and Brendon Reilly, the workhorses of the Varsity pitching staff, will be called on again today, while Cornell, forced to play four league games in two days, is expected to pitch Tom Turner and Ken Battles.

Coulson at .345

The visitors boast no less than five regulars who are hitting above .290, while the Varsity's only .300 hitter is Walt Coulson, whose average is .345. For Cornell, clean-up hitter Frank McArthur's average is .409, Bill Arrison is at .400, John Cordes .389, Lou Daukas .304, and John Skawski .292.

Varsity center fielder John Caulfield, who injured his leg while scoring the winning run against Dartmouth last week, is still not ready for action, and Len Lunder will be in his place. Samborski has made no other changes in the Crimson lineup.