Seznec Is Among Five Faculty Men Named to Chairs

Professor Jean-Joseph Seznec has been appointed to the Smith Professorship of the French and Spanish Languages, held in the past by George Ticknor, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, James Russell Lowell and J. D. M. Ford.

Professor Seznec is an authority on the works of Flaubert and on the art of the renaissance. He was originally appointed to a lectureship here in 1939, but was mobilized in the French Army in the fall of that year. After the fall of France, Professor Seznec returned to the United States. He has served on the faculty since 1940. Professor Seznec is a Docteur-es-Lettres of the University of Paris, and has taught at several institutions in Europe and in the United States.

Others appointed to named chairs are: Bart J. Bok, from professor of Astronomy to Robert Wheeler Willson Professor of Applied Astronomy; William Y. Elliott, from professor of Government to Leroy B. Williams Professor of History and Political Science; Gottfried Haberier, from professor of Economics to Paul M. Warburg Professor of Economics; and Edgar B. Wilson, Jr., from professor of Chemistry to Theodore William Richards Professor of Chemistry.