Cox, Dunlop, Golden Assert Pending Bills, Would Increase Labor Unrest

Members of the Liberal Union heard current labor legislation damned as "partisan politics of the worst order" and as a hindrance to peaceful employee-management relations in a symposium about "The Facts on the Labor Bills" held Emerson D last night.

Archibald M. Cox '34, professor of Law; John T. Dunlop, associate professor of Economics; and Clinton S. Golden, lecturer at the Business School on leave from the C.I.O. United Steelworkers Union, spoke at the meeting.

Golden First Speaker

Golden opened the symposium with the statement that the current drive for "restrictive" labor legislation arose because of a tendency to believe that the labor situation last year was typical of that which will obtain under existing laws.

He insisted that last year's situation was really transitory, and that current labor unrest has arisen because "we have not yet had time to become attuned" to laws passed under the New Deal.

Golden concluded by asserting that amendments to the Wagner and National Labor Relations Acts will only hiuder the "attempts of labor and management to get together."

Cox Criticizes Bills

Professor Cox, who dealt sharply with the legal aspects of the proposed bills, declared by the both the labor act recently passed by the House of Representatives and the one currently before the Senate would weaken unions and thus hamper collective bargaining, "on which the major load of industrial peace must rest."

Professor Dunlop criticized the proposed laws as being drafted by men "without real knowledge of labor problems," and, examining specific portions of the measures, pointed out those parts which he considered poorly devised.

All there speakers agreed that current laws, if passed, would overload the N.L.R.B. and increase industrial unrest.