Security Council Fails to Come to Decision After Hearing First Two Aggression Cases in UN's History

Over the Wire

Faced with the first direct complaints of aggression in U.N. history, the Security Council could not reach a decision yesterday and will try again today to answer Australia's demand to stop war in Indonesia, and Greek "aggression" charges against Albania, Yugoslavia, and Bulgaria. The Dutch, who, with American-made weapons, were gobbling up huge chunks of the Indonesian Republic yesterday, prevented a vote to stop hostilities by claiming that the U.N. charter "was not applicable."

Howard Hughes, plane-builder being investigated by a Senate committee, retorted "circus ballyhoo" to a subpoena from the committee and said that he couldn't make it until Wednesday because of business. His business--at least with the government ordered, huge flying boat--was reported as possibly costing the U.S. an extra $2,000,000.

Two Britons appeared before government bodies yesterday but with totally diverse intent. One, the British Colonial Secretary, cried "horror and revulsion" in reporting to Commons the execution of two British Army sergeants in Palestine. The other, King George VI, told the Privy Council, in a 175-year-old ritual, that he and his wife had approved of the November marriage of their daughter.

New war troubles closer to home than the East Indica appeared on the southern horizon last night as the Dominican Embassy reported that a three-ship expedition was steaming from Cuba to invade the Dominican Republic. They told newsmen that the "expedition" was composed of two landing barges and one corvette equipped with cannon and machine guns.

Senator Taft, on the heels of his state's (Ohio) GOP endorsement of him for the presidential nomination, attacked the President for being dominated by CIO principles and said that foreign policy could be repaired only by a Republican president in 1948.

The weather: Sunny, cooler, and much less humid today with highest temperature near 78 degrees. Fair with little change in temperature tonight.