Football Manager Sees Monday '51 Comp Sure Cure for Social Butterfly

By John B. Judkins, (Varsity Football Manager)

The annual Freshman Football Managerial competition starts Monday and will be open to all men in College in their first or second term.

The football fever may not have hit you yet but it will soon, for this sport is the outstanding extra-curricular activity of the fall, and this competition offers you an excellent chance to become an actual part of it. During the next few days most of you will talk to one of the present managers, but this article will serve to familiarize you with our system, its aims and its benefits before you are actually contacted.

The first meeting for interested candidates is scheduled in the Varsity Club, located in back of the Union, at 1:30 o'clock with a follow-up meeting Wednesday at the same time and place for those unable to attend the first.

Receive Athletic Credits

No doubt many of you played football in secondary schools but will be unable to participate in it here because of lack of size or ability. Here is your chance to continue a close relationship with football. It also offers you the opportunity to fill the freshman athletic requirement. Managerial competitors receive athletic credits just like the players.

The managerial system has grown to its present form by changes and improvements made during the last few decades. At present the Freshman competitors compete during their first year for the six Second Assistant or Sophomore managerial positions. These six then enter a competition during the fall of their second year for the three or four top positions dependent upon the system in operation.

Three Top Positions

At present the system is on the wartime three-year setup and there are only three top positions; the Varsity managership, the Junior Varsity Senior Associate managership, and the Freshman Senior Associate managership. These positions are filled by the top three sophomore competitors respectively.

We both hope and plan to return to the four year system at the end of this season. This would mean that the winner of the Sophomore competition would become the Assistant Varsity manager for his Junior year and would automatically become the Varsity manager during his Senior year.

Managers Vital to Team

Here is the opportunity to both help yourself and your College at the same time. Managers are definitely needed to help run the football team. Their work has become so integrated with the coaches and players that it is impossible to separate one from the others. Therefore by becoming a manager you are helping your team and your college. By increasing your contacts in College life, by being a part of Fall's largest outside activity, and by filling the athletic requirement at the same time you are adding much to your College existence.

You can't spend your whole time with the books. What better way could you spend the fall afternoons?