Army, Navy Reveal Training Programs Plans for 1947-48

The College's part in the military's new program "of maintaining a well-trained and well-organized reserve" emerged more clearly last week when the top men in the Army and Navy programs published their plans for the coming terms.

Colonel Mare McClure, commandant of the Harvard ROTC unit, announced an Air Force training program in addition to the traditional Field Artillery course, while under the Holloway plan which Congress passed last spring the Navy plans to send 50 students to Cambridge.

These men, selected after a national competitive examination, are to receive a free four-year college education in return for which they must serve two years of active duty with the Navy or Marine Corps. On completion of this they may recenlist in the Navy or go on reserve status.

Under the new Army program, prospective fliers will not receive actual flight training, the instruction offered being rather in Air Force organization, inspection systems, navigation, aeronautics, combat intelligence, air operations, and guided missiles.

For those more intrepid students who desire flight training, there is hope in pending legislation, which would allocate funds enabling Senior ROTC men to obain solo hours at private flying schools. Graduates of the newly inaugurated curriculum who want to get from desk to control panel will have a priority second only to West Pointers in the national training program for flying officers.

Air Force trainees will receive the same basic instruction as Ground Force students for the first two years, but their Junior year will find hem diverted to subjects indigneous to the Air Corps. More vigorous specialization will take place in the Senior year. On graduation men in this program will be commissioned reserve second lieutenants in he Air Force.