Mikkola Seeks Hill Country For Harrier Upgrade Work

"Take to the hills, men!" may be the rallying cry of cross country coach Jaakko pronounced Yahko) Mikkola when he greets his 1947 Freshman and Varsity pavement pounders at Dillon Field House this afternoon.

By Mikkola's standards, last year's Varsity would up considerably below Dean's List, winning four and losing five including the Yale meet. They had hill trouble. On the flat they ran like greyhounds, only to collapse at the mere sight of an upgrade. Having to practice on the level University riverbank path for lack of transportation elsewhere was thought to be the cause.

"This year it will be different," promises Mikkola. "We will get to the hills somehow." Some of the nicest, back-breakingest hills in this region are right next door in Medford and is is probably to these hills that Mikkola and his men will struggle like desert wanderers toward an oasis. The Crimson's coach has suggested that if Varsity and Freshman runners supply the cars to get there, the H.A.A. will foot the gas bills.

Counts on Returnees

Mikkola is counting on a whole flock of returnees plus some graduates of the '46 Yearling team to "insure a successful season and build the foundation for a good running attack for the winter and spring track teams."

He has indicated that more is at stake than a successful cross country season. With definite Olympic possibilities like Don Trimble and Sam Felton returning next spring in the field events, the Harvard coach plans to use the forthcoming harrier season as a means of revitalizing his anemic middle distance and distance forces so they can keep pace with the high point men.

As for the Freshman situation, he thinks introduction of hill and dale running at some of the Harvard-feeder prep schools will bring gratifying results when the Yardling candidates report Monday.

Although not much sunshine beamed on the Varsity and Freshman squads last year, there is one significant factor concerning the prospect this fall. Coach Mikkola's record, and particularly his combined Varsity-Freshmen Yale record of 33 wins and 7 losses, has been compared with California weather. "It may rain once in a while, but it never stays that way for long."