Scientists Blast as American Role in European Muddle

Mather, Shapley Call Economic, Greek Policies Misdirected

Two of the University's most distinguished scientists turned their attention from the laboratory this months to the problem of international peace with regard to Europe. Harlow Shapley, Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy, excoriated "the travesty and hypocrisy" of U.S. policy in Greece, and Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology, termed Europe's economic fate inextricably bound up with American welfare.

After two months on the continent attending scientific conclaves and promoting an Emergency World People's Conference to meet in New York City this November, Mather told the press that "this nation must have European markets to, escape a depression."

Almost simultaneously, Shapley, addressing the Eighth Annual Conference on Science, Philosophy and Religion at the University of Pennsylvania, was asserting that the State Department must be made accountable to the American people for its actions.

Recognize Greek Paradox

"Instead of... simply bleating about the relation of our democracy to the tyranny that now prevails in Greece," he declared, "let's recognize the travesty and hypocrisy and go in large numbers to see the State Department about it."

Termination of "superior race theory ... particularly in our southern states," and placing "our social idealists and out students of human rights into political office, "were also advocated by the astronomer.

Here in Boston Mather warned that in two or three years this country will sink into economic college unless European depression is avoided. As temporary chairman of the World People's Congress which gathers in New York City on November '29 he will probably introduce this issue with emphasis on soviet-American relations.

Mather reluctantly admitted he thought that Russia had impeded the recovery of Europe by refusing to cooperate with the western powers in the reconstruction of Germany. But he called it the United States' world obligation to maintain amicable relations.