Senior Announces His Candidacy for School Committee

A Social Relations major whose particular interest is juvenile delinquency will seek a post on the Cambridge School Committee in this November's elections, it was disclosed last week, when Robert I. Morris '44 officially throw his hat ion the ring and announced his candiddacy.

Morris, a 27 year old Navy veteran who will graduate in February, plans, if elected, to strive for the adoption of the recommendations of a $25,000 survey of the Cambridge school system made last June.

Wants Achievement Records

Lack of proper child guidance is Morris' chief complaint against the present system. His platform calls for a complete achievement record to be kept on each individual pupil, so that a precocious block builder would possibly be steered into the construction trades as a high school youth.

Another point-in-Morris' program is the lengthening of the lunch period, something he always felt necessary as a student himself at Cambridge High and Latin.

Track Training Won't Help

"Teachers talk about proper eating habits and cleanliness in the classrooms," he declares, "but when lunch bell rings. The fastidious lad who tries to wash his hands finds no soap or towels in a filthy little washroom, and there is barely time to bolt his food down even if he makes a track start at the door."

Teaching problems confronted Morris even during his four and one-half years in the Navy, for he spent 18 months in the Aleutians teaching navigation to Russian crews through an interpreter.