Veterans Office Chief Acts to Expedite Fall Subsistence Payments

Late subsistence checks will not bedevil the 3,00 veterans who pass through Mem Hall's portals today, if the Counsellor for Veterans office is successful in pursuing the plan of operations it announced last week.

Under the plan, ex-service men, after completing registration, will be shunted over to New Lecture Hall so that they can fill out Veterans Administration forms there.

All Freshman veterans and all students coming to the College for the first time under Public Law 346--the "G.I. Bill of Rights"--will meet Thursday at 7:30 o'clock in New Lecture Hall so that the 450 ex-servicemen in these categories can go through the V.A.'s mill at that time.

Emergency Loans

In case subsistence checks still arrive late, the deans of most of the University's schools have agreed to make loans in emergency cases. This measure was decided on when an August survey showed 25 percent of the checks destined for College veterans overdue, with the figure rising to 35 percent for the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

Another move to speed checks on their way was announced recently when the Boston V.A. office ruled that veterans need not re-apply for their payments between terms, so long as the time between terms does not comet to more than 15 days.