Wine, Songs, Cards Lure Linguists

Listening to sultry torch songs? Bidding seven spades in Russian? This may not as the way you learn languages in high school or even at collage, but it is the way of the Modern Language Center at 5 Divinity Avenues.

The center, one year old this fall, is the spot where students in foreign languages can relax and enjoy themselves in an informal atmosphere. Exhibits, easy chairs, records, and light novels are the methods employed by the Center to make language learning painless and voluntary.

For those who don't like to browse through the latest Italian periodicals but still prefer the Latin touch, there are three record machines with which to catch up on the latest cafe lyric and singers. One of the machines is even equipped with carphones for those personal discs.

A game room on the second floor is ready to accommodate the students who want to play bridge, Monopoly, poker, or whist in French or any other language.

Downstairs are a conference room and a periodical room as well as a kitchen and party where clubs can prepare snacks for their meetings, most of which are held at the Center. There is even a refrigerator available in which to keep the Chablis or cokes cool for meetings.

Students Kept Posted

Exhibits lent by individuals and the local museums are shown each month in first floor exhibitions which reflect the favor of various foreign lands. Bulletin boards keep students posted on the latest plays and books published in foreign tongues.

A soundscriber with which qualified students may record their pronunciation in any language they choose is available, as well as a group of records from which the beginner can learn to imitate the gay Parisian tongue in the original.