Council Appoints Kimball to Probe Freshman Affairs

Moving into high gear one day after its opening meeting of the year, the Student Council and President Edric A. Weld, Jr. '46 yesterday launched a full-scale investigation into Freshman affairs with the establishment of a powerful new committee.

The Council named Richard W. Kimball '50, to head this "special committee on Freshman affairs," giving him a free hand to name his associates. Kimball will be working, however, within a specific set of aims and techniques proposed by the Council in its Tuesday meeting.

A General Probe

Up for discussion by the new group, according to a letter of instructions from Weld, will be the "entire field of Freshman affairs." Basing its investigation on a general probe into the subjects of class unity, the Freshman year in the Yard, and the functions of the Union, the committee will delve specifically into the makeup, usefulness, and possibilities of the Union Committee; the value of class activities like the Red Book, Jubilee, and smoker; and the organization of the Freshman class.

In its inquiry, which Weld directed "to commence immediately," the group will rely on work with the Dean's office.