Watson Sees No Extension Of Interhouse

Shorter Food Lines Forecast for Union

Extension of inter-House dining privileges to nearly 400 upperclassmen now living in Claverly, Dudley, Apley, and Little halls would overburden House eating facilities and is currently out of the question, Robert B. Watson '37, associate dean of the College, said yesterday.

Simultaneously, Aldrich Durant '02, Business Manager, and Walter Heaman, dining halls superintendent, declared that the present lengthy chow lines at the Union are only temporary, and are caused not by over-burdened facilities but by Freshmen unfamiliarity with Union meal-time procedure.

Commenting on several pleas for inter-House dining privileges received recently by the CRIMSON from residents of Claverly, Dudley, Apley, and Little, Watson asserted that a similar appeal was voted down last year by Housemasters and the administration "after a long discussion during which everything was brought up."

400 Instead of 156

He pointed out that when the decision was made, only Claverly housed undergraduates, while the other three halls contained grad students. Men of the College now populate all four halls, and Watson asserted that if the privileges were extended now, "instead of 156 men-just Claverly-nearly 400 students" would be eligible to eat at the Houses.

Such a move, he added, would over-burden the Houses, and leave the Union, which served up to 1800 men during the war, with far too few diners.

Both Durant and Heaman asserted that students currently throng the Union a few minutes before nine o'clock and at noon, thus causing congestion. Durant said, however, that practically the same number of students that was served last year is again being handled by the Union staff.