Widener Library Begins New Exhibition with Pitman Model

Eight Years to Build Replica of Harvard For 1936 Required

Harvard University, as it appeared in 1936, moved-into Widener Library yesterday morning at 10 o'clock in the form of a model scaled down to one six-hundredth of its original size.

Constructed by Theodore B. Pitman '14, the miniature replica of the institution as it entered its fourth century will occupy the front left hand corner of the hallway surrounding the main inside steps.

Three Others Planned

Occupancy of the other three corners of the hall has been planned for eventual models of the Yard as it was in 1677 and again in 1775, plus a future model as the University will appear in the middle of the next century.

The tiny but accurate reproduction, which has taken some 15 men and women nearly eight years to build, will have a background painted by Henry Brooks '22, Concord Artist.

1775 Model Underway

Because it covered the biggest area, the 1936 model was constructed first, at a scale of 1 inch to 50 feet. Already, however, much of the research and detailed work on Harvard College, 1775, is underway, at a scale of 1 inch to 30 feet.

Research for the 1775 model took four years of the time of Rupert B. Little '35, who delved into the archives, State House, Middlesex County Courthouse, and City Hall, in order to complete plans for 250 houses and barns which make up the Revolutionary era scene.

The small buildings, seldom larger than a half inch cube, are carved from molded blocks of savogran, a kind of plaster of Parts which dries quickly and firmly. Spires and towers are of brass, and fences are of copper wire.

Thread is used for the tiny Boston El carlines down Massachusetts Avenue, while fresh seaweed, procured every two weeks, makes the tiny trees which, dot the Yard and nearby streets.

Blueprints Helped

First step in constructing the model involved consulting city maps, in order to plot individual dwellings on the streets around the Yard. University building plans provided information on the Yard structures.

Individual pictures of every house, barn, and building in the Square area followed, from which the small models were designed. They are now painted in detail on three sides, the fourth side not being visible to spectators who file past in the years to come.

All the automobiles appearing on the streets were carved from a plastic substance, and represent only the latest models as would have existed in 1936.

A tiny Summer statue appears near the Harvard Square information booth, just as it does today; and John Harvard, in front of University Hall, sits as solemnly in miniature as he does lifesize.

Later Model Scheduled

Since the model completed represents the University as it stood on its three hundredth anniversary, the most probable date for the reproduction of the future Harvard is 2036.

This model would include not only buildings constructed since 1936, such as Littauer Center and Houghton Library, but also University buildings of the future, like the Lamont Library, the foundation of which is now being poured. Ernest L. Bell '49 Ernest L. Bell '49 Ernest L. Bell '49 Ernest L. Bell '49 Ernest L. Bell '49