College Digs Out As Scholars Plow Through Exams

Eliot House men with club ties and red-rimmed eyes are exploring Widener Reading Room and learning how to fill out book slips. The pinball machines stand solemnly in their places, gathering dust but no nickels.

In the dining halls, Radcliffe women with copious lecture notes are replacing the smooth-shanked fillies from Northampton. In Stillman Infirmary, University pill-rollers are treating three students for overdosage of Benzerdrine.

In short, exam period and the undergraduate have met, head-on.

Postcard Prayers

Felix reported a run on picture postcards. "Some of the boys will stop at nothing to impress the grader," he was quoted as saying. "There's one in particular--shows a statue of some Indian appealing to the Great Spirit--selling like hot--cakes."

Local palmists and spiritualist mediums likewise experienced a lucrative shot in the arm. One swami of dubiously repute rubbed his hands and said, "Since Armed folded up, lots of Harvard men have decided to put their faith in the old crystal ball."

And from her ivory hower in the Garden Street Eden, Mona N. Lowe '50 peered out from behind her tortoise-shell spectacles and waggled a slide rule provocatively at the CRIMSON reporter. "Men, men all over the place. Men by the dozen, hounding me for my reading notes. I never had so damn much fun in may life," she shrieked.