Colleges Plan Imitations of Salzburg Plan

Schools Meet Here To Discuss Seminar

Encouraged by the success of the Salzburg Seminar, representatives of nine American colleges will meet here this weekend to discuss plans for similar projects throughout Europe.

The schools will confer with student and faculty directors of the Seminar in a two-day meeting, which will also consider plans for a permanent administrative and financial organization at Salzburg.

Among the colleges which are considering imitations of Harvard's program are Yale, Washington, M.I.T., Stanford, Berkeley, Oberlin, Yale Law School, Chicago, and a federation of Canadian schools.

Although the original Salzburg Seminar has been in operation only one summer, the Canadian International Student Service has already decided it promising enough to open a similar project this year in Germany. The group will give courses in "Modern Trends in Humanities."

Joint Seminar

Stanford and Berkeley colleges will initiate a joint seminar in Europe in 1949. M.I.T. is currently reversing the procedure and bringing 80 foreign students to Cambridge to study.

Plans of the other schools are still indefinite, but will probably crystallize at this week's meeting.

The conference, scheduled for Saturday and Sunday at the Faculty Club, will discuss three main points in connection with the present Seminar: the Salzburg Seminar as a pilot experiment in international education, administration and finance, and cooperation among student-initiated projects in International education.

About a dozen College students connected with the administration of Salzburg will be among the meeting's participants, who will also include representatives of the State Department, the Carnegie Endowment, the Council for Foreign Relations, and the Corporation.