House Football Season Opens Today As Four Teams Begin Competition

Four groups of hardy, if amateurish, young men will open the House football season today of Soldiers Field when Kirkland takes on Dunster and Leverett meet Winthrop.

Lovers of the T formation will get their first look tomorrow, when champion Eliot tackles Lowell, with Dudley and Adams the participants in the second game.

The first games come after two weeks of more or less intensive conditioning. Two hundred-odd candidates for the eight teams have been put through conditioning and signal drills in an attempt to reduce the chances of injuries in the usually ragged games; and each unit has undergone considerable blackboard work.

Informal scrimmages, staged in the last few days, showed that talent is pretty well split. Eliot, with an established coaching system, seems to hold a slight advantage in its race to win the cup for the second year. Coach Charley Mains' B.U. plays will be in the able hands of Dave McGiffert.

Adams, which finished well down last season, has enough weight to make it a threat this time.