Student Dies in Charles as Auto Plummets off Bridge

William A. Tuttle '48 plunged to his death yesterday when his Chevrolet, coupe crashed through a 60-foot section of fence on the Harvard Bridge and plummeted 30 feet into the Charles River.

The 21-year old junior lived in Adams House and had been discharged from the army as a staff sergeant in November 1946.

Metropolitan police got their first news of the crash at about 4:30 yesterday morning when Wilbur Smith, a baking company driver, notified them of the huge gap in the guard rail.

Two cruisers and a patrol boat rushed to the scene, but it was more than an hour before grappling hooks made contact with the auto, which was 40 feet from the bridge. Garage men manning two derricks attempted to bring the car to the surface. On the first try, the vehicle slipped loose and again settled to the bottom.

Second Try Successful

The second lift brought the wreck up and enabled police to record the registration number and later to remove the body.

The impact at the time of the accident must have been terrific, according to police. Both front wheels were torn off, the left front windshield and windows on both sides were smashed. Reporters theorized that Tuttle had not died without a struggle. The rear window was broken, probably by his attempts to escape when he found the doors jammed.