Even Odds Prevail in Battle at Ithaca Today

Rain Threat, Homecoming Punch Furnish Cornell Pot Shot at Upset

By Bill Fairfield

ITHACA, N.Y., Oct. 9--Art Valpey's new Harvard football team, proved under fire by Columbia, meets undefeated Cornell's 90 percent sophomore squad at 2 p.m. today in Schoellkopf Studium.

But the Crimson's biggest enemy may turn out to be the weatherman. Rain fell all yesterday in Ithaca. A slippery ball would affect Valpey's long centers, pitch-outs, and triple handoffs much more than Lefty James' simpler T-formation ball-handling. However, the latest weather information says only scattered clouds.

It's even money in Ithaca; to win this one, Harvard will have to play a better game than it did against Columbia. The Crimson has lost four factors which more than outweigh the experienced gained against the Lions:

Cornell Scouted Varsity

1. Harvard met Columbia completely unscouted. All the plays used were partial surprises to Lou Little. They will not surprise Cornell, which had three scouts at the Stadium last Saturday.

2. The Crimson played Columbia in its own back yard. This week the boys are 352 miles away--and so are most of their fans.

3. The big question in both coaches' minds--morale. Valpey said last night that the Harvard squad is not at all overconfident, but this bureau doubts whether the boys can possibly reach their peak of last Saturday. In addition, Cornell will certainly be less cocky than Columbia was. Columbia had just beaten Rutgers, 27 to 6. The Big Red squeezed by Navy, 13 to 7 last week--a Navy team which has not won a game in over a year.

4. The weather.

Homecoming Day

Besides these factors today is Homecoming Day in Ithaca. To understand what homecoming can mean, one must only realize that Cornell has long been considered "the biggest Midwestern school in the East." And today is also' the 80th anniversary of the opening of classes at Cornell.

In spite of the weather, the Ithacan air should be filled with passes this afternoon. Both teams have shown their weakest defensive setup against a passing attack. Columbia completed 18 out of 30 against Harvard; Navy gained 145 of its 200 yards against Cornell in the air. Quarterback Pete Dorset, a 175 pound Junior, will handle the majority of the passing chores for the home team and tailback Jimmy Noonan will do the same for Harvard.

Among the seven Sophomores in the Big Red's starting lineup is Jeff Fleischmann, a plunging 190-pound fullback who was instrumental in the Navy defeat.

The "Mr. Outside" of the Cornell attack is left halfback Hillary Chollet, who also plays basketball.

Against Harvard in the latter sport last year, Chollet consistently outraced Chip Gannon down the court.

Mix this well with a couple of hard running backs named Paul Girolamo and Bob Dunston, flavor with a 200 pound line, baste with the factors outlined above, and you have the substance Harvard will have to digest this afternoon. It ain't Lion meat, but it may upset you