Soccer Team Blasts Brown, 3-12; Freshman Eleven Triumphs, 20-6

Late Drive Clicks

By Douglas M. Fouquet

The freshman football team joined in Saturday afternoon's slaughter of the Brown bear by staging a late fourth period rally which toppled the Bruin yearlings 20 to 12, in the mud of Soldiers Field.

Trailing 12 to 6 at the end of three quarters, the Crimson came to life in the final period with a running and passing attack that netted two quick touchdowns. The entire game was played under an almost constant drizzle.

The freshmen scored first early in the opening period, when big Bob Ray climaxed a long ground drive with a five-yard touchdown run around right end. A play or two before, Ray had provided a 25-yard run which set up the score.

Brown Touchdowns Alike

Two identical plays in the second and third quarters gave the Bruins their temporary 12 to 6 lead. Pitchouts to halfbacks Ray DiMott and Bob Ampietro baffled the Yardlings and were good for the two scores.

Receiving better late-game blocking than they have had all season, the Yardling backfield struck back in the final period. Captain Carroll Lowenstein got off his longest pass of the day when he tossed for 30 yards into the arms of end Don Cass who was standing on the Brown goal. Charley Walsh converted to break the tie.

Ossman Scores Clincher

Two minutes before the game ended the freshmen scored again after halfback Warren Wylie had raced 40 yards to the Brown three-yard line. Tom Ossman carried the ball around left end to score standing up, with Walsh again kicking the point after touchdown.

The Crimson lineup: Sergienko, le; Hill, lt; Hanson, lg; Forthingham and Julian, c; Carduff, rg; Raverby, rt; Rodis and Cass, re; Burke and Lowenstein, qb; Nealey, lhb; Walsh and Wylie, rhb; Ray, fb.

The victory reflects the steady improvement the freshmen have shown with every game. After an unimpressive early campaign of only one win in four starts, the team almost tripped Dartmouth last week, but was overtaken in the closing minutes. Saturday, for the first time this season, the freshmen played that way every minute of the game.