Injuries In Backfield Weaken Yale Squad; First-String Line Can Start

Larson, Lovejoy May Watch from Bench

By Yale News and Lee GRIGGS Sports writer

Despite a bumper-crop of injuries, Yale will invade Cambridge in the best physical shape since the opening game with Brown. The Bulldogs have been sabotaged throughout the season by a recurring series of mishaps to key members of the squad.

Head coach Herman Hickman, who has been counting injured footballers in his sleep lately, will have a big job on his hands molding a winning team in time for today's game.

As the situation now stands, Yale is expected to start its regular line for the first time in several weeks. John Setear-will be at right end, and Brad Quackenbush, sidelined during the Princeton game with a heavy cold, will be at the other flank. Walt Clemens, standout sophomore tackle, will return as a starter, along with Ed Pivcevich. The often-handicapped Vic Frank and Bob Jablonski, who played 60 minutes of killing football against Princeton, are the choices at guard. Captain Bill Conway is prepared to give the Harvards plenty of trouble at center.

Jackson and Furse

The indestructible Tex Furse will run the team from his quarterback slot, while Levi Jackson will undoubtedly lead off as one of the halfbacks. Bob Raines, regular right half, is still not in top condition and Ferd Nadherney, recently recovered from painful injuries, may take over at that position. Hard-driving Dan Wagster will probably start at fullback.

With Emery "Swede" Larson, second-string center, on the casualty list, Captain Conway may have to go all the way today. Win Lovejoy, Larson's understudy and a sterling line backer, was hurt in the Princeton clash. Buck Carr, who has played in only one game so far this season may have to spell Larson at center when the going gets tough.

Backers-up

Two important weaknesses in the Yale defensive set-up have consistently hampered the effectiveness of the team. Line-backing, especially against Dartmouth's hard-charging squad, has been inadequate at times. This defect was remedied to a certain extent last Saturday. The Bulldogs stopped Princeton's driving fullback, John Weber with amazing frequency, but Lovejoy's loss may prove crucial.

Pass defense is another department in which the Blue has shown a woeful ineptitude throughout the season. Columbia and Dartmouth pierced Yale's secondary to great advantage, and Princeton had considerable success passing.

But Furse Snarled Badgers

Only in the Wisconsin game was the pass defense system successful with Furse breaking up most of the Badger tosses. To complicate matters still further, Brooks Naffziger, a defensive standout, is lost to the team for the rest of the year.

Despite Hickman's superhuman efforts to find a winning team among the limited material on hand, the Blue has had an in-and-out season: After opening the campaign in impressive style by stopping a hefty Brown outfit, 28-13, the Elis were barely able to squeeze by a determined Connecticut eleven. Then Columbia came to town and fought off a last-minute rally to overcome Yale 34-28, but the Blue stermed back the following week to take Wisconsin's Badgers, 17-7.

Vanderbilt Upset the Cart

The sons of Elihu met their Waterloo on October 23 when they collided with a strong and underrated Vanderbilt eleven. The Commodore powerhouse, making the most of a potent single wing formation, thrashed the Bulldogs, 35-0. Dartmouth heaped insult on injury with a 41-14 triumph the following week. The victory-hungry Blue finally rose up and squashed Kings Point 52-0 and then went on to make a real fight of it against Princeton before bowing in the last quarter.

When Yale meets Harvard today, the team will be aiming for the one victory that means success or failure for the season. But regardless of the outcome, Herman Hickman's "po' ll'l boys" intend to fight right down to the final second.