Goalie Batchelder Is Elected New Varsity Soccer Captain

Loring 10. Batchelder '50 of Eliot house and Andover was elected captain of the varsity soccer team by the squad's 24 letter winters yesterday afternoon at the Dillon Field House. A regular for the last years, Batchelder plays goalie.

Edward S. Epstein '51 of Wigglesworth Hall and The Bronx, N.Y., was appointed varsity manager for next fall, while Joseph P. Flemming '52 of Thayer Hall and Pelham, N.Y., was chosen as freshman manager.

Playing every game for the booters this fall, Batchelder allowed only seven enemy goals while the Crimson scored 31 times against opponents. The six foot, 21-year-old Navy veteran had seven shutouts to his credit in Harvard's 11-game schedule.

"He'll make a darn good captain," said Coach Bruce Munro. "I think Batch deserves a lot more credit than he got during the year. He's got the spirit and the chatter and everything else a good captain needs."

Retiring captain Phil Potter added. "He'll be an excellent captain, and in the two years I've played with him, he's been an excellent goalie."

Batchelder attended Phillips Academy at Andover. Where is 1945 he was the first-string goalie. After a year spraying Navy airplanes in Porto Rice, he enrolled at Harvard in 1946 and was the firststring goal tender for that year's freshman squad.

This year's soccer team finished the season with a record of eight wins, two losses, and a tie, good for the best Harvard soccer record in ten years, second place in the New England League, and the Big Three championship.

Leeming New Harrier Captain

Joseph Leeming, of Winthrop House and Buffalo, N.Y., was elected varsity cross country captain yesterday. He succeeds John Cogan, of Melrose. Leeming a junior, captained the freshman team two years ago.

This year the cross-country team came through with thoroughly unsuccessful season, dropping all their major meets. Prospects are expected to be somewhat better next fall.