Council Okays new Rules on Undergraduate Publications

The Student Council last night approved a new set of rules for undergraduate publications. The proposals were drawn up by a special committee appointed by the Council last spring after the New student controversy. Frederic D. Houghteling '50 headed the group.

The rules must be approved by the Dean's office and the Faculty Committee on Extra-Curricular Activities before they go into effect.

Publications using the Harvard name in their titles must meet more requirements for approval than those which omit "Harvard." However, the report states that the basic criterion for approval of a publication is that "it must be a Harvard student enterprise."

Two Additions

The Council added two amendments to Houghteling's original report. The first states that the publication must indicate whether the author of an article is a "member of the Harvard community" or not. Secondly, every issue of all approved publications must contain the following sentence: "The views of this publication are those of its editors and sponsors, and do not necessarily represent the views of Harvard University or of the Harvard student body."

Award of 26 Council scholarships totaling $750 was announced last night by David L. McMurtrie '50, chairman of the Council's scholarship committee. This fall's awards teal $100 more than was given last year, McMurtrie stated. He added that an even greater amount will probably be awarded in the spring term.