Draft Status of Students May Be Set by Friday

Group Said to Favor Deferment

WASHINGTON, Dec; 6--Final draft states of the nation's college and graduate school students may be determined this week.

A 20-man Selective Service Advisory Committee will meet here Thursday and Friday to recommend a deferment policy for students in all fields of study, the CRIMSON learned tonight. If the group's decision agrees with that of an earlier committee on the medical sciences, it will call for indefinite deferment of all students.

The committee's recommendations will probably be accepted by draft head quarters, Col. C. C. Hart, Selective Service publicity director, said tonight. Hart based his statement on the present scale of draft quotas.

Special Considerations

Certain problems facing the central committee may go to separate groups on the physical, biological and agricultural, medical, social sciences, and the humanities for separate consideration may wait until sometime this Spring.

But any possibly delay will do no damage so long as deferment policy is set by late May, Hart explained. No student can be drafted before the end of the academic year under Congressional legislation.

The committee is under the chairman ship of M. H. Trytten, member of the National Research Council. Only Harvard representative on the group is J. Kenneth Galbraith, lecturer on Economics. Galbraith will have leave Cambridge shortly for this city.