AVC Blasts Rent Rise; Council Set for Inquiry

Vets Suggest Surplus Funds to Pay Costs

Yesterday was the students' round in the growing discussion over the College's 30 percent boost in dormitory rents, as a special investigation by the local chapter of the American Veterans Committee condemned the increase and the Student Council appointed a special group to look into the situation.

After thanking vice-President Reynolds for the "assistance and sincere co-operation" he had afforded them, the AVC group attacked the College's plan to get a $100,000 surplus from the Houses and dormitories for transfer to the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, and suggested that instead, surplus funds of the Department of Arts and Sciences be used to meet dormitory costs.

Believe Cost Rise Temporary

The committee expressed the belief that increases in running the Houses are "temporary," and hit the University for "increasing dormitory rents rather than exhausting every other means at its disposal."

Meanwhile the Council also moved to investigate the rent jump, an appointed a three-man committee headed by Edric A. Weld, Jr. '46, to see Dean Bender tomorrow about the rent problem.

The other members of the committee are two newly seleted Council members, Robert L. Fischelis '50, of Kirkland House and Philadelphia, and Joseph Rancatore '50, of Lowell House and Lawrence. They were selected under constitutional rules by which runners up succeed election winners when the latter resign.

The Council also agreed to increase its backing of the Freshman Smoker from a $50 loan and $50 grant to a $100 grant and a loan sufficient to cover expenses.