Busy School Graduates in Great Demand, David Says

Dean Cites Heavy Number of Applicants

Demand for admission to the Graduate School of Business Administration has "continued unabated" and the call for graduates by employers "has never been greater," Dean Donald K. David asserted in his Annual Report to President Conant.

To meet the increase in applicants for entrance to the school, today's student enrollment is 50 percent above the level of the 1930s, and teaching programs have been greatly expanded, Dean David claimed. Nevertheless, "we are forced to deny admission to hundreds of men whom we would accept in normal times."

In the report, David stated his minimum requirements for a good business executive. Most important, he claims, is the "ability to work with other people," since that is the "essence of administration." Also necessary is the ability to reach sound decisions in the light of facts available and under pressure of time, "willingness and courage to put decisions into effect," and "the ability to draw upon a fund of substantive knowledge of facts and techniques."

Many Veterans

"In this picture the responsibilities of this School are large," he declared, pointing out that very little is known generally of these qualities. "To the investigation of problems in those areas our research must be addressed."

Also in the report, David estimated that 95 percent of the School are veterans, with the average student around 27. Last year's graduates entered manufacturing, marketing, and finance in that order, according to Business School surveys.