Swarthmore Graduates Here Decry Ban on College Paper

News of the suspension of Swarthmore's weekly The Phoenix, because it printed an editorial on Dr. Alfred C. Kinsey's "Sexual Behavior in the Human Male" stirred up a whirlpool of protest among former Swarthmore men now in University graduate schools, and Swarthmore President John Nason may soon be bombarded with letters from Cambridge attacking his cease and desist order.

Nason was not available for comment last night, but earlier he had termed the editorial on the Kinsey report the culmination of "several semesters of irresponsibility by the Phoenix staff for the welfare of the entire college."

"Alumni and students alike," Nason declared, "have agreed that the editorial showed poor judgment and bad taste. The immediate future of The Phoenix now depends on conferences with the student council and other representative groups on the campus."

According to former Swarthmore students now studying in Harvard graduate schools. The Phoenix has often aroused alumni ire in the past, though it never before has been suspended. Last fall, the paper stirred another hornets' nest when it accused Swarthmore of employing discriminatory admissions policies.

Aroused alumni are on especially potent force right now at the Quaker co-educational school, as the administration is in the midst of a campaign to raise $5,000,000 to finance new dormitories, higher salaries, and the like. Only a little over $1,000,000 of this has been raised during the past year.

The Phoenix editorial noted that "the irrefutable fact that there is a great deal of sexual outlet on the part of the college male does not mean that such outlet is approved by the groups that are concerned with the college's educational policy."