Quintet Bows to Columbia, 71-59, Will Take On Penn at Arena Tonight

Coach Barclay put his sagging Varsity basketball team through a lengthy drill in the Blockhouse last night following weekend losses (both by scores of 71 to 59) to Cornell and Columbia. The Crimson meets Pennsylvania in the Arena tonight at 9:30 o'clock.

The Columbia game, played Saturday night at the New Yorkers' match-box gym, kept a full house worried up until the final six minutes, at which point Budko started hitting. With Hauptfuhrer easing in 75 percent of his shots, and Rockwell clicking off long sets, the Crimson trailed only 35 to 31 at the half, and subsequently pulled to within one point of the EIL leaders, 43 to 42.

Prior May Play Tonight

Bill Prior sat out the game with an injured ankle but is expected to be ready for Penn tonight. The visitors, who trimmed the Varsity 58 to 50 at Philadelphia last week, have an overall record of six and eleven.

Elsewhere on the Crimson basketball front Saturday, the Freshmen belted Andover 71 to 47 in an away game. Ed Smith, Yardling captain, fattened up his average with nine field goals and four charity tosses.

The Harvard summary: HARVARD (59)   G  F  P Gannon, lf  3  0  6 Crosby  0  0  0 Rockwell, rf  8  5  21 Hauptfuhrer, c  8  2  18 Brady, lg  1  1  3 Fansler  0  0  0 Henry  1  1  3 McCurdy, rg  3  2  3   --  --  -- Total  24  11  59