Funsters Capture First Place In Intramural Court Finale

High-flying Dunster House copped first place in the intramural basketball league and 150 solid points toward the Straus trophy last night after defeating a strong but erratic Winthrop quintet, 34 to 31, to wind up with a 13 and 1 record.

Trailing 20 to 15 at the half, the Puritans managed to regain the lead early in the third period, only to lose it again after Joe Flynn, high scorer for the winners with 12 points, followed two foul shots with a layup and a one-armed push shot from the keyhole.

With little more than a minute to play, Dunster's center Ted Nelson tapped the ball through the net after a muffed foul shot to put the Puritans within one point of the leaders, but Dunster's sharpshooters hit again, clinching the tilt.

Nelson was the evening's high scorer with 13 points.

Adams Sextet Wine

On the hockey front, Adams defeated Winthrop, 9 to 4, to regain a second place tie with the Puritans. Both the Gold Coasters and Puritan sextets have won five and lost two.

Meanwhile, Kirkland's grapplers groaned their way to first place in the House wrestling tourney yesterday, with two winners in the finals.

Two falls maked the afternoon's events. In the 121-pound class, Freshman Coach Howie Schless of Winthrop pinned his opponent in 1:51 of the second period, while Leverett's 165-pounder Peto McWilliams registered in 1:43 of the third period.