Unbeaten Swimmers Travel to New Haven . . .

Ivy League Title Goes to Winner

By Charles W. Bailey

Really topnotch Harvard swimming teams have not been a common slight in the Cambridge sports picture over the past few years, so the accumulated hopes of nearly a decade will be riding on Hal Ulen's undefeated charges this afternoon at New Haven when they face a Yale squad with an equally brilliant record for Eastern League laurels as well as traditional H-Y honors.

The Elis are strong--as always in this peculiarly blue-tinged sport--and will, according to form, carry the day. But for the first time since the champion team of 1938 swamped its opponents, there seems a reasonable chance for an upset.

Few Men Carry Hopes

Whatever hopes of victory Ulen has today rest necessarily on a small group of topnotch performers. The Crimson is not really deep in strength, and it is here that Yale has the edge, for after the first man in several events, the visitors will have little hope of placing.

Ted Norris, kingpin of the team, will undoubtedly swim in two events. His specialty--the 440 freestyle--seems to be no problem, and he is a strong contender to finish right behind Jerry Gorman in the 220. Whether or not Hank Arthur, a capable performer so far, can pick a second or third in the 440 is unsure--and important.

Gorman May Swim 3 Racoo

Gorman will compete in the 100 freestyle as well as the 220 and in one of the relays, either medley or freestyle. The two other top men in the dashes are Joe Fox and Milt Busby, who have, while not turning in consistent winning performances, shown in several meets that they can win when it counts most.

The dive is in the experienced hands of Tom Drohan, who has won in all but one of his outings, and who ranked close behind last year's ace Bob Aaron when that worthy won his event against Yale. Chances seem good here.

Ulen Top Breaststroker

The breaststroke is one race where time has brought disappointment rather than improvement. Captain Chuck Hoelzer, steady winner and strong competitor in both the 200-yard event and the crucial medley relay, has been forced to drop out of the lineup because of academic pressure, leaving the improving but not as yet firstrank Don Ulen to bear the brunt.

Tom Woods, skinny sophomore backstroker, has clipped encouraging amounts off his times all year, and could rate a second tonight behind Yale ace Al Stack.