Weight Throwers Lead '51 to 70-56 Win Over Exeter

Weight events and the distance runs provided the necessary elixir for Freshman track team victory for the first time Saturday by a margin of 70 to 56 against highly-touted Exeter.

Doug Pirnie's forces had lost their opener, their only other engagement, 53 2/3 to 53 1/3 to B.U. last week, and entered the north country discouraged by a spoiled debut and a rain-spattered week of intermittent practices.

Still another hurdle has loomed for the Freshmen's initiation into the collegiate track circuit. The 30-man squad has evinced a treasonous interest in spring football and baseball, an interest which on a beckon from Art Valpey has threatened to slice the 30 men to a piddling 13 and has kept the lineup in a state of flux.

Team Fairly Set

Now, however, the team seems fairly set. With the Exeter victory tucked away, and power in the weights and distances tested, the squad can go into its spring campaign with some degree of assurance.

Core of the Freshmen's power events against Exeter: In the mile, White (4:47.8), Rosen, Pankey; in the 440, Walsh (54.6), Welch; in the hammer, Kaplan (157 ft., 5 in.), Murphy, Stromsted; in the discus, Kaplan (121 ft., 8 in.), Howard, Keith; in the javelin, Keith (151 ft., 2 in.), Howard; in the shot, Keith (47 ft., 6 1/2 in.), Howard.