Netmen Strong After Double Fault to Tarheels, Davidson

Lining Them Up

By R. JOHNSON Shortlidge

Suffering from an inferiority complex after last year's flasco season, primed with the alibi of no outdoor practice, the tennis team sailed into southern waters last week with all the odds against it. Team members hoped to make the four matches close; they didn't expect to win.

The odds tumbled, however. After dropping a close one to Davidson, 6 to 3, and stopping cold against power-laden North Carolina, 9 to 0, the Crimson settled down and pounded Navy, 8 to 1, and Army, 7 to 2.

"We're back in circulation," Coach Barnaby said last night. "Doubles are our only real weakness, and they only need a little practice." The Crimson split its singles matches against Davidson three for three, lost two of the singles in long three set contests which were in the balance to the final point, and took five of six singles against both Army and Navy.

Vincent Brandt and Captain Ted Backe are the core of Barnaby's ripening fruit, Brandt is a hard hitter, Backe steady and versatile, and as a doubles due they can dish up about any kind of return from any position, reports Barnaby.

Bill Wightman plays a varied game at the three position and team with Steve Pratt, who worked his way from obscurity to a varsity racquet last fall. Bud Ager and Ted Bullard newcomers to the Varsity, stroke on five and six court. Bullard providing the climax shots at net for Ager's baseline doubles game. Varsity Schedule April 17  Bowdoin at Brunswick 19  Wesleyan at Middletown 23  Williams 24  Amherst 28  Brown at Providence 30  Cornell May 1  Pennsylvania 5  Dartmouth at Hanover 7  M.I.T. 8  Columbia 12  Yale at New Haven 15  Princeton June 30  Eastern Intercollegiates at Montclair, N.J.