Golfers Expect Fewer Traps Ahead After Southern Fiasco

"We just met three pretty tough teams." That's the way Sam Savidge, captain of the golf team, explained the shut-out results of the Spring trip. But Savidge isn't discouraged. "North Carolina is probably the strongest team in the country, and the match was a profitable experience for us. We'll do all right for the rest of the season," he optimistically added.

And he has good reason to be hopeful, for this year's gold squad looks like the best in several years. Although two good men were lost when Tyke Wilcox and Bob Orr graduated last year, this season's overall picture presents a team with a deep reserve of better-than-fair players.

A new note of optimism has also been struck with the arrangements which finally give the divot-diggers a chance to use the course at the Dedham Country and Polo Club. "It's a good test of golf," according to Savidge, "and at long last affords the players a dependable fairway on which to set up their tees and do some thorough practicing."

Competitions will be held at the Dedham course Saturday, and members of the team hope to see some of the oft-spoken-of but seldom-seen golfers who can supposedly set the links on ire with their game.

And of course, Yale will be the ever-present target. The boys from New Haven just slipped away with a 5 to 4 victory last year, but Crimson chances for revenge should be better than average when the golfers meet the Elis on May 7.