Crimson Tennis Team, Lightweight Crew Win

Varsity 150's Beat Eli, Tigers; Keep Goldthwait Cup

Bert Haines' Varsity 150 oarsmen steered another winning course Saturday over a choppy, windawept Charles, when they scored their big win over Yale and Princeton to keep the Goldthwait Cup in the Crimson trophy case for the seventh straight season.

In a race postponed for two hours when a Yale freshman 150 shell swamped and nearly sank in the rough waters, the Crimson paced home the Elis by three-quarters of a length, Princeton finishing third.

Bucking a strong wind, Yale's eight raced on even terms with Harvard for more than half of the Henley distance of one and five-sixteenths miles. The Bulldogs, then unable to keep up their high stroke, finally fell behind.

'51 Wins, Jayvees Lose

In the companion events, the Freshmen also won their second race of the season, boating Princeton and Yale in that order. Crimson Jayvees again failed to break into the win column when the junior lightweights trailed both Yale and Princeton across the finish-line in the third race of the day.

The delay caused by the Eli freshmen swamping kept their own varsity from meeting M.I.T. until 8:30 o'clock, and as a result both crews raced in total darkness.