'Cliffe Births Up, Harvard Falling

As the Harvard and Radcliffe Classes of 1923 returned to Cambridge for their twenty-fifth reunions, they received a stern warning from the Population Reference Bureau that they were failing in one phase of their duty to America.

According to figures compiled by Miss Betty U. Kibbee (pictured above) under the direction of Dr. Clarence J. Gamble, a Harvard Medical School graduate, the typical member of the Harvard Class of 1923 has only 1.73 children, while the average Radcliffe graduate of 1923 has only 87 children.

It is estimated that graduates must average 2.1 children for a class to reproduce itself. The extra one-tenth of a child is to allow for infant mortality.

Radcliffe Improves

However, at least at Radcliffe, the Population Bureau reports that the situation is improving. The Radcliffe Class of 1938 has already surpassed its 1923 predecessors with a record of 1.18 children per graduate.

This puts the 'Cliffe Class of 1938 thirtieth in a field of 84 women's colleges surveyed, as opposed to the Annex Class of 1923 position of sixtieth in a like field.

Harvard's Class of 1923 ranks thirty-fourth of the 66 men's colleges included in the report. The Class of 1938, however, slipped to sixty-ninth of the 84 tenth reunion classes reporting, with a score of 1.05 children per graduate.

Utah State Agricultural College was the national champion in both the men's and women's division of both twenty-fifth and tenth reunion classes.