Fuller Wins Regional Trials At Arena on Two Decisions

Advances to Eastern Bracket

Peter Fuller '46 took the first step toward a possible berth on the U.S. Olympic boxing team when he won the heavyweight division of the New England trials Monday night at the Boston Arena.

In the finals of the tournament, Fuller, last year's wrestling captain, took a split decision from Bob Girand, a man he knocked out last fall in an amateur bout. He gained his advantage in the second and third rounds after fighting cautiously for the first two minutes. In the semifinals he won a unanimous decision over Ed Moylan, a former Navy fighter.

Fuller will compete in the Eastern trials to be held at Albany in two weeks against "Cokey" Wallace, the amateur champ, among others. Winners of this bracket will gain entrance to the finals with champions and runner-ups going to London to compete in the Olympic bouts which begin in the middle of July.

In the course of his fistic career, Fuller has lost only once, on a split decision to Willie Clemens, national amateur Golden Gloves champion in 1947, while amassing a record of 31 victories 26 by knockouts. Two weeks ago in Providence he knocked out Sam Gladings with two punches in 21 seconds of the first round.