Freshman 'Cliffedwellers Get Tips on Quad Customs

Six short, snappy indoctrination courses in dormitory traditions are on the docket next week for the 240 Radcliffe freshmen who, for the first time in Annex history, will all room on the 'Cliffe Quadrangle this year.

Preview highlights of the customs which will be passed along to the new 'Cliffedwellers include word that Barnard Hall residents serenade President Jordan and Deans Kerby-Miller and Sherman with Christmas carols and walked off with last spring's song contest with the entry, "Wellesley Has A Muddy Lake."

Briggs Hall breakfasts on strawberries and cream and nothing else one morning in June and Freshmen get a chance to fight back at the annual "take-off" skit in the fall. George, a stuffed penguin, attends all Bertram Hall jamborees as mascot and chaperone, and the table at Eliot Hall's annual Christmas punch is graced by a home-frozen bowl chopped from a chunk of ice.

Cabot is the newest and biggest dormitory; has the only elevator and the only fifth floor on the Quad and an annual jump-rope contest every spring. Whitman Hall has personalized wallpaper in the living room: dainty spiders and bugs are sketched in among the flowers.