Crimson Track Squad Enters 16 In K of C Meet Tomorrow Night

'Exam Period Blues,' High-Grade Opposition, Lack of Practice Darken Garden Outlook

Coach Jaakko Mikkola will send 16 members of his track team into the Knights of Columbus meet at the Boston Garden tomorrow night, but he's not willing to venture any forecast as to how they'll do. Like his pupils, Jaakko has the exam period blues.

"The boys haven't had too much of a chance to practice," he says. "They have to study, you know, and many of them will go into their events tomorrow evening fresh from exams taken during the day." This, plus the fact that the Crimson entries will be facing the cream of collegiate track athletics should mean a tough night ahead for the runners.

Morcum to Back

Boo Morcum and Bob Richards will lead the field of pole vaulters, in their second appearance in recent weeks on the Boston scene. Mikkola will send Bill Laurence and Bill Lockett against them, but with 22 entries listed for the event, it could be anybody's victory.

Jaakko will get a lineup on his freshman mile relay squad, as well as another look at his varsity, in the course of the evening. Yearlings Eddie Turtzner, John Packard, Tom McGrath, and Ronnie Merman will be running, and Mikkola sees the chief trouble coming from the Yale and Dartmouth '52 squads.

The loss of Captain Dave Hamblett from the varsity mile team will slow down the Crimson in that event--"possibly as much as three seconds"--and Maine should be the team to beat. Burt Brown will take Hamblett's place. The rest of the team will be Harvey Thayer, Pat McCormick, and Al Ruby.

Watch Spivak

Jon Spivak is possibly the best bet among Crimson entries to win some points. Along with Spivak in his specialty, the 50 yard dash, will be Thayer, Jerry Gibson, and Murray Peristein.

The only other contest in which Harvard will appear is the 45 yard high hurdles. McCormick and Bert Coville will do the running.