Fisher Issues 'Final' Blasts Against His Impeachment

Robert C. Fisher '51 yesterday issued his "last statement of any kind" regarding his removal two weeks ago as an NSA delegate and an ex officio member of the Student Council.

The document, written in answer to the Council's detailed statement on the charges against him, contains "a refutation of the two most important charges, a refutation of the four least important charges," a listing of 89 minor points with which he "finds himself at variance," a claim that the entire Council action was illegal, and a final summing up.

Fisher cited four points in his claim that the Council had no legal right to impeach him: 1) that Council President William D. Weeks '49 had no right to vote; 2) that he was tried under the rules for a regular Council member, although the provision in the Council constitution making him an ex officio member was unconstitutional; 3) "the proceedings of the Council were against Robert's Rules of Order under which the Council has always operated; and 4) there are no listings of a 'delegate's duties' in the Constitution."

In conclusion, Fisher said, "had I felt guilty of any one charge levelled against me," he could not have kept up his sequence of wearying refutations. "I am convinced," he added, "that only a person who is certain of the justness of his position can stand up under 34 days of unjust and insincere attack. I have attempted to look upon this situation with a feeling of sympathy toward those men on the Council who hold their positions more important than integrity."

Despite Council denials, Fisher reaffirmed his accusations that his trial was a "star chamber session" which impeached him because of "political reasons" and as proof cited the political makeup of the Council: "seven confirmed Democrats, three confirmed Republicans, one leftist, two, in my opinion sincere independents, and three whose politics I have no way of judging.