Stanford Rooters May Wear Tails, Ties for Harvard

Harvard will have to face more than a football team when it journeys to the Pacific coast--next September to meet Stanford. It will run into a hotbed of organized spirit unknown in the Ivy League.

Already planning a welcome for the famous Easterners, Stanford's head yell leader, Tom Elke, announced he will have "the whole rooting section dressed in top hats, tails, and white ties. A section in the center will wear red ties, making an "S".

Such stunts may seem far-fetched to local spectators, but it's all part of the game in the far west, where rallies are often marked by monster bonfires, float parades, and all freshman men wearing pajamas. Stanford rooting sections are always solid white blocks, and very often some red marking outlines an "S".

The top hats and tails, however, is something special cooked up by Elke's staff for their Harvard visitors. Although outfitting an entire section in this garb may appear difficult, it will be nothing strange to Elke, who has an established reputation at Stanford for doing the bizarre and difficult. Among his accomplishments are a full-fledged but unofficial rally for the Bridge Team and the political maneuvering of an unknown local guitar player into a leading candidate for student council president.