Grad Appeals For Antidote To Liberalism

Pi Eta Alumnus Plans Conference Groups

Plans to develop "a completely new relationship between the graduates and the undergraduate members" of the Pi Eta Club, motivated in part by "a strong feeling among graduates that undergraduates are exposed to too much liberal thinking within the College," have been initiated by T.T. Pond '21, President of the Associates of the Club.

In a form letter sent earlier this month to graduate members of Pi Eta, Pond proposed that the new organization should provide "a series of discussions by well-known graduates... bringing to the group the most authoritative thinking on current... problems." These meetings "will provide an opportunity for the conservative element to speak to a body of undergraduates."

The letter was written by Pond as an individual, not as a representative of the Associates of Pi Eta.

Pond, who as Agent of the Class of '21, collects money from the Class for the Harvard Fund, said yesterday that the University has suffered "to the tune of a good many thousands of dollars" from "general alumni reaction on this pink question."

In a letter replying to Pond's proposal, Lombard C. Jones '28, who sent the correspondence to the CRIMSON, said that "I fail to see... what possible benefit is to be derived by undergraduates from attending... sessions where they would be subjected to attacks on liberal tendencies in Harvard teaching.. in the stupidly and dangerously prejudiced terms typical of the conservative element wherever it exists." Jones, a commercial artist, is a registered Republican.

Pond claimed that his letter had been "misinterpreted" by Jones. He said that the new association is not yet organized, and that his letter contained only "some of the things I felt ought to be discussed."

Pond's letter was also forwarded to the CRIMSON by Philip S. Brown '30, who said "I think that the student body should be made aware of the motives that prompt all such alumni activities."

Pat Lenahan '50, undergraduate President of Pi Eta, said last night that "the record of liberality of Pi Eta has always spoken for itself" and that the letter of one man cannot be taken to express the opinion of an entire organization.

Pi Eta, like the Hasty Pudding, is primarily a musical comedy club, Lenehan said. He pointed out that the undergraduate members of the Club have heard nothing about Pond's plan to date