Injury-Ridden Crimson Given Edge Over Columbia in Today's Skirmish

Team Loses Moffie, Bender, Kenary for New York Game; Lions Field Green Eleven

By Peter B. Taub

Unless Harvard and Columbia play to a tie at Baker Field today, one of two jinxes which will ride into the game must go out the window. The Crimson hasn't won a football game away from Cambridge in three years; on the other hand, in their seven meetings with Harvard, the Lions have never triumphed.

The visitors have been installed as slight favorites, largely because they are more experienced and have more finesse than the willing but unseasoned group Lou Little is faced with this year. Kickoff time in New York is 2 p.m.

Both teams have played one game before this, their Ivy League opener. Columbia turned back a none too strong Amherst eleven by three touchdowns and Harvard was overwhelmed by powerful Stanford. For better or worse, the game disclosed one glaring Crimson weakness which the Lions will undoubtedly try to capitalize on this afternoon.

The weakness was a frightening susceptibility to end sweeps and, granted that Columbia has no backs to match the ones Harvard saw racing around at Palo Alto, a similar defensive flaw today could easily put the kibosh on the Crimson's hopes for its first victory of the season. The Lions turned the Amherst ends with relative ease last week. Today their first string fullback, who was ineligible for the Lord Jeff game, will be available and at the same time the Harvard line will not be at full strength.

The injuries which came out of the Stanford game will affect Harvard's chances today as much as the critical end problem that game brought to light. Art Valpey has devoted most of his practice this week to drilling men in new offensive and defensive assignments and to filling gaps left last Saturday.

Moffie, Bender, Kenary

Three first string players did not even make the trip, and one of them, wingback Hal Moffie, was Harvard's greatest offensive threat. The other two are big Chief Bender, who held a full-time job as offensive tackle and defensive guard, and Jim Kenary, number three tailback, a reliable passer, and safety man on defense.

Less severe injuries will keep Captain Howie Houston and quarterback Bill

The football game will be televised from New York this afternoon over WNAC-TV for the delight of fans not watching the Red Sox. For those who cannot got near enough to a television set, it will be broadcast over WCCP, but not over WHDH. Henry from playing as much as Valpey would like them to play. Both will see limited action only.

To "cover" for these men, Valpey will use Sam Butler and Duke Sedgewick in place of Houston and Bender on offense; on defense, Dick Guidera and John Coan will fill in. Bill Rosenan will relieve Butler part of the time on defense, and Pete Coyne, brought up from the Jayvees this week, will provide more depth at the guard position.

John White will probably take over for Moffie at wingback with Bill Healy moving to Kenary's safety man post. Charlie Walsh will spell Henry as offensive quarterback.

Lou Little Weeps

Lou Little had to start all over again this year. All eleven starters from last fall were graduated, and the Columbia Coach has had to build his team around three fairly experienced men. Bob Russell is the quarterback in Columbia's winged T, and while he does not yet have Gene Resides passing ability or genius for calling plays, he runs and throws with competence and is a highly adequate field general.

Fullback Leon Van Bellingham was the first backfield substitute last fall and is perhaps the squad's best runner. Sophomore halfback Don Kimtis was Columbia's leading ground-gainer last week. Jim Ward at left end is the Light Blue's most experienced lineman. Even the six lettermen on the squad saw very little action last season because Little choose to stick with his number one eleven most of the time.

It is encouraging that the Harvard linemen will enjoy a ten-pound per man weight advantage over their opponents. But although the Lions are not so heavy as they were last year when Harvard beat them in Valpey's debut, Elmer Madar, who scouted the Amherst game, reported that they hit harder than they did a year ago.

Crimson Air Attack Possible

Columbia exhibited a slight weakness in defending against short passes last Saturday and, if it becomes necessary, Harvard can take to the air, with Jim Noonan, Henry, or Carroll Lowenstein doing the pitching.

Harvard, with a year under Valpey since it last played Columbia, has an edge as far as experience and gridiron poise go. Columbia's defensive platoon includes five sophomores who could be fooled every so often. And there are a like number of sophs in the offensive group who haven't been playing together for very long and who probably haven't come up against a hard-charging line.

To the Lions, losing would not only break the jinx which has hexed Columbia for 72 years but might also lead to a rather dismal season. For Harvard coming up to Cornell with a one and one record would be a pleasanter, and more likely, prospect.

The Starting LineupsHARVARD  COLUMBIAHyde (194)  LE  Bomm (188)Davis (200)  LT  Cozzi (200)Butler (192)  LG  Pell (188)O'Brien (210)  C  Wagner (192)Coan (200)  RG  Bacauskas (200)Sedgewick (217)  RT  Cannon (190)Mazzone (210)  RE  Ward (175)Henry (188)  QB  Russell (180)White (170)  LH  Wynott (162)Roche (185)  RH  Kimtis (174)Shafer (190)  FB  Van Bel'h'm (192)Kickoff 2 p.m