Cornell Tramples Soccer Team, 3-1

Big Red's Early Goals Count; Crimson Turns On Unsuccessful Rally

By Douglas M. Fouquet

Cornell proved it had plenty left from last year's championship Ivy soccer team when it scored three early goals Saturday and gave Bruce Munro's Crimson forces a 3 to 1 beating on the Business School Field.

Before the game, the varsity had an idea that, despite its graduation losses, it might be working well enough to give the Big Red a surprise. But a little too much inexperience and nervousness cost the Crimson three or four early goals when good scoring opportunities were missed.

It wasn't until the final quarter that the team seemed to find itself, and then it was too late. Crimson forwards had control of the period, scoring one late goal and almost tallying with another.

Cornell Scores Early

After a relatively subdued first quarter, the Cayugans took control in the second and the third. Late in the second period, at 21:05, the Big Red's inside right, Tom Tappin, capitalized on a corner kick. Dick McKinney beat Crimson goalie Whoop Batchelder at 6:45 of the third period, and Hugh Fahs, substituting for Tappin, scored at 20:30 of the third quarter on a corner kick that bounced off two Cornell heads before rolling into the nets.

In the final quarter the Crimson put on a rally. Only one goal actually materialized, but in comparison with the earlier periods, the fourth period showed the Crimson at its best.

At 12:30 Harvard's outside right, Ben Goldstein, again kicked in a ball that first bounced off several heads in the Cornell crease. The Crimson almost scored again late in the quarter, but a hard shot from the right hit the goalpost a half an inch too far to the left.

Despite the defeat, there is at least a bright note in the fact that all Crimson injuries stayed healed. Munro's squad should be at full strength when it visits Amherst on Columbus Day.

The Harvard lineup: Batchelder, g; Drake, rfb; Scully, lfb; Berger, rhb; Miller, lhb; Goldstein, or; Drehmel, ir; Spivak, cf; Weiss, il; Harvey, ol.