'53 Elects Union Committee Under New Constitution

Freshmen elected 21 men to the Union Committee last night, as a week-long campaign period came to an end.

The newly-formed committee will dins with President Conant tonight in their first meeting of the year.

"The Committee's job this year will be to convert the Union into the biggest date and social center in the University," Borden F. Beck, 3L, Secretary of the Union, said last night. Beck explained that this was part of the Dean's Office policy to unify the Freshman class.

First nominated by petition and then elected by their entries, the committee includes:

Peter A. Rubel, Richard T. Povill, and Daniel J. Young of Thayer; Derrick M. Wilde and Calhoun Dickenson of Holworthy; William W. James of Mower; Clayton L. Sommers of Massachusetts; Thomas W. Hoya and Richard E. Reed of Weld; Ernest T. Berkeley, Jr., of Lionel; Stephin L. Rudin, Waverley R. Beall, and Richard E. Johnson of Mathews.

Also Francis J. O'Neil and Arthur L. Herbst of Stoughton; Thomas H. Petscheck of Straus; Henry F. McGusker, Jr., of Wigglesworth; John S. Herman and Stanley E. Tobin of Grays; David M. Silverman and Arthur A. Sloane of Hollis.

The Dudley Commuter's Center has not elected its representatives yet.