Conant Talks at Ceremonies Installing Wright at Smith

President Conant spoke yesterday at the installation of Benjamin F. Wright as president of Smith College and defined a good adminstrator as "a man who has a worried look--on his assistant's face."

"He can serve only," Conant said, "in coordinating opinion, as moderator in debates, and as an initiator, at times, of a chain reaction."

Inauguration of President Wright, formor profesor of Government at Harvard, highlighted the first day of Smith's 75th anniversary convocation. Delogates from colleges and universities all over the world heard Wright assert, "Most women who go to college will continue to make marriage, children, and homemaking their principal careers."

Prepare Women for Home

Although Wright admitted economic and public activities of women "are facts of the first importance," he added that college should consider preparing girls for "their home--the focus of their lives."

Wright suggested holding on to tradition while experimenting with changes in higher education for women. We must not ignore warnings from experts, he said, "who tell us that the American home is not so satisfactory a place as it might and should be."

Mrs. Dwight W. Morrow, chairman of the Board of Trustees, gave Wright the symbols of his office, the college's key, charter, and seal.

Twelve noted women will receive honorary degrees today in the concluding section of the college's convocation.