Dartmouth Invades Quietly

"It's quiet as hell," Chief Alvin R. Randall told the CRIMSON at 11:45 last night, and it stayed just that way through the wee hours of the morning.

With the University police blanketing the Yard with cigar-chewing operatives and a pair of uniformed officers hustling the disappointed crowd from Cronin's promptly at the stroke of twelve, Harvard Square and nothing but peace and quiet from the Dartmouth invaders last night.

Liquor sales were slow--slower than they've been for a Dartmouth weekend in a long time--local saloon keepers reported. One restful police sergeant commented, "Times certainly have changed."

Although it is difficult to attribute last night's lack of activity to any specific cause, the letter from Dartmouth athletic director William J. McCarter to William J. Bingham '16, Director of Harvard Athletics, seems to have been borne out in fact. McCarter wrote Bingham a short while ago that he had instructed his "gestapo" to prevent any demonstrations.

The Harvard Band, after having announced that it would not serenade the Dartmouth stands during today's halftime intermission, has reversed its earlier decision and will now perform for the Hanover stands both before the game and between the halves.

Malcolm H. Holmes, band director, explained his earlier decision by saying, "I'm getting too old to die for dear old Harvard in a riot," but undergraduate and alumni pressure at both Harvard and Dartmouth have brought about a change in band policy. Homes expressed great confidence in McCarter's letter.

During the game demonstrations will be limited to Band formation.